The Ripple Effect of Activity
There have been times in my sales career when results just do not line up with where I had planned them to be. In analyzing those times it can all be traced back to a lack of revenue generating activities.
In the sales profession revenue generating activities are; networking, promoting, approaching, listening, presenting and following up. If you are not participating in these activities today you will see an impact in your results 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 18 months out... depending on the sales cycle of your product or service.
There are an assortment of reasons why you could be lacking activity today;
- You could be distracted by an upcoming merger or acquisition,
- You could be worried about a potential reorganization,
- You could be waiting for the new collateral to come out for the newest offering,
- You could be feeling defeated by a retracting economy,
- You could be feeling torn between your sales philosophy and that of your boss,
At one time or another I have used all of the above excuses.
While all of these reasons may be valid there is no denying the fact that if you are paralyzed today you will not see the results tomorrow.
Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you. (Thomas Jefferson - 1743-1828)
Personally I have proven to myself that if I focus on activity everything else falls into place. Activity is what ultimately determines your value to the market.
If you are not seeing the results you desire take a stab at ramping up your activity and see what happens.
I welcome your thoughts in the comments below.